Tuesday 18 April 2017

HAPPY YOURSELF!

Of the many Monday nights I had endured, returning from work in one public transport (trotro) or the other, last night’s was supposed to be my best. It was an Easter Monday – a holiday for that matter. But guess what; it was the day I had an argument with my girlfriend. My punishment? Total neglect! No calls! When I attempted reaching her, my call kept going to our dear mistress at voicemail. I did not mind having a conversation with her though, as I was lonely and desperately needed someone to have a chat with. My only problem with Miss. Voicemail is her stingy nature - she only listens to your secrets and never for once spill hers. Even so, I was pessimistically optimistic. I continued to call my ‘lover’ but to no avail. 

Soon, it was night time and her neglect had gotten the better of me. I decided to take a lonely-man’s stroll down my street. My aim – to witness lovers do to each other, what I had intended for my girlfriend and I. I exited the house, with no idea of the exact direction to take. I paused outside the gate for a while. Looking from left to right and left again, like a law-abiding citizen.  

Then something caught my attention, it was the sound of music. I decided then, to take the path that led to the location where the music emanated from. A few metres away from my intended location, I heard the Disk-Jockey (DJ) speak into his microphone “Yo! Yo!! Yo!!! It’s a beautiful holiday! I can see some Shatta fans in the building! Some Sarkodie fans as well! Big up guys for passing through! Big up the lady in the white skirt, I owe you a dance after the show! Come and request a song you wish to hear!” And he continued unabated. 

I had the inkling to run towards the location, to see for myself, the fun others were having at my disadvantage. I listened however to my intuition and ignored the thought to run. I continued at the same pace. In about a minute-and-half, I was face-to-face with the beer-bar – were all the music and fun supposedly ensued. I could see the DJ jumping to the sound of the music he played with much enthusiasm whilst calling in for song requests from his audience. 

Now more than ever, what met my eye stunned me. There was not even a lingering shadow of a ghost at the bar. The bar was as empty as my love life was that night. Not a soul! But for the bartender and the overly enthusiastic DJ still calling for song requests from what I now observed were chairs. Were there guests I could not see? 

I approached him. He noticed me walking towards him and as usual, spoke into his microphone “One Shatta fan coming to make a request! Sark fans were are you?!” He continued his monologue until I got close enough, signalling him to lend me a listening ear. His face lightened up! “Shatta or Sark?” he asked, away from the microphone. I ignored him and proceeded with my observation which I carried across in the form of a question. “Why are you entertaining requests from chairs but seem to be thrilled by it” I asked awkwardly.

Mr. DJ’s answer to my question was priceless; “Masa!” he began “In this life, you for happy yourself!” As if to infer that I was keeping him away from his august guests of chairs, he replaced the headset on his ear and continued to hop at his music. He went further to communicate to his attentive chairs that I had requested a song. He played a hip-life song, in a bid to satisfy my purported request. I exited the bar, enjoying the music as I did. Smiling back at a few chairs there present. The chairs were indifferent. 

Immediately, I felt my heart grow lighter. I began to care less about my predicament – my girlfriend’s neglect. Across the street, I engaged myself in a dance. I danced enthusiastically, exhausting the few dance moves I had in the process. Then I got innovative; I amalgamated a few existing dance moves to create a hybrid collection. I sped along!

A gloomy-faced passer-by whom I suspected was also facing an ‘Easter-Girlfriend-Neglect’ situation gave me a you-seem-to-have-nothing-to-worry-about look. I noticed it and snapped “Brother! Forget whatever is causing you pain” I said to him, “You for happy yourself!” He chuckled and went his way. I bet he might be thinking I was insane. 

The DJ noticed me brightening up my corner with my newly furnished dance moves. He picked up his microphone; “Go Shatta! Go Shatta!!” I charged. I sustained a few steps, noticed I was repeating the same olds and finally rounded up. He was my only fan and I, his. I started for home feeling rather calm at heart and energized. Above all, I felt happier than I was a few minutes prior. 

This taught me an important lesson in life; NO ONE BUT YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN HAPPINESS. Never allow the ties you share, be it family, friends or in my case a lover, deny you of the opportunity to eat of the fruit of happiness! You can achieve this only by adhering strictly to this simple truth, and I reiterate; No one but you are responsible for your own happiness!
.
·         So if he/she neglects, offends or jilts you; Happy yourself!
·         In sickness and poverty; Happy yourself!
·         Neither your job nor boss gets impressed by your works; Happy yourself!
·         If a chair is your only fan; Happy yourself!
·         Feeling depressed or alone? Happy yourself!

After last night’s encounter, I took an oath to forever ‘happy myself’ despite life’s many trials. And like the enthusiastic chair-DJ entreated, “You for Happy Yourself”. I hope you take that oath too.
Warmest Regards!

Atsu Dogbey
(Member of TDL)

No comments:

Post a Comment