Thursday 7 April 2016

NO GREY - SPOKEN WORD POETRY

Musical Interlude…. No Grey

FIRST STANZA

Am I really a Christian?
So I’m a staunch Christian yeah?
Of course, I have availed myself as an empty vessel and I am speaking on behalf of God Almighty to his children. 
You can really feel the Holy Spirit work through me right?
Have you however been to my closet where the other me hides lingering?  Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Where sin and I have become twins with my birthright stolen …. Jacob and Esau
Cos when I say I'm Adam it tells me I’m Eve………………. Please take a bite of sin
When I stay calm like Abel, sin kills me in cold blood like Cain
So I go seeking shelter in a gym, do some press-ups, grow muscles and come back as strong as Goliath to fight sin but it kills me with only 3 stones to the head… David
I quickly ran to the salon to have my hair locked like Sampson for a disguise… but still “Delilah 'ADAADA' me”.
Behold I begin to dream about being great one day regardless of my sinful nature but like the remaining 11 tribes of Israel, sin sells me into the slavery. Joseph
I become disheartened, go down on my knees and cry; I WANT TO REMAIN A VIRGIN!!!… But sin still mysteriously impregnates me.
Trust me; this is not a story about Mary and Jesus
Cos when I say I’m Jesus, sin betrays me like Judas
“I quit sin!!!” I exclaimed, sin laughs and mocks saying….. Like seriously
Till I realized I had to submit to the power of God…… And I did
I professed my love for God the father and the Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit
He climbs on top of the mountain promising me the world, Satan
This time around I defeated Sin……. With scriptures
MAN SHALL NOT LEAVE BY BREAD ALONE!!!
Kindly take a bite….
Am I really a Christian?

Musical Interlude…. No Grey

SECOND STANZA

The part of the scripture I keep earnestly,
Love your neighbor as you do yourself
And trust me I really do
You know it’s always darkest before dawn,
So I always do it when you are long gone,
Or possibly sleeping
I sneak out gently, with jeans below my waist
Shouting out loud… AM BACK AGAIN!!!!! ……..  To my lover
She meets me smiling
And we move deeper
To the part of the club labelled DANGER
We squeeze and squeeze even tighter
Till she finally screams out my name ……… PASTOR!!!
But the spirit in me softly whispers…………… NONSENSE!
Feeling all guilty I go again to Church on Sunday
Walking saintly like I would be a priest someday
The bell is rang and my favorite part is coming
LET US PRAY IN THE WORDS OUR SAVIOR TAUGHT US
And I’m smiling
I go down on my knees, lifting my hands towards the skies….. Yelling as everyone else is

Our father who art in heaven
Hallowed be thine name.
But please…………… Don’t let your kingdom come
Cos although the Church believes I’m white
OH Lord!!!…………. I know black is even brighter
Am I really a Christian?
Musical Interlude…. No Grey

THIRD STANZA - THE MESSAGE

This message is not about being white or black
Or Black and white
No grey sewed up in your spirit like tie and die
Just remember that the time is now
And the future is bright
So we recommend WHITE
Cos that is  CHRIST
Just remember that the time is now
And the future is bright
So we recommend WHITE
Cos that is CHRIST

Originally composed by:
Etse Dogbey
Song by:
 Jonathan McReynolds


No comments:

Post a Comment